Thursday 30 August 2012

What I'm getting used to...


While taking the boys for a hot early morning walk today, I was reflecting on the many things that I have become used to since moving here 3 months ago.  Here’s a few of them…

When we go for a walk, I get endless expressions of surprise and awe…. but I’m still not sure if onlookers are more impressed with my stroller or my cute white boys. Double strollers pretty much don’t exist here, so when they see a second baby sitting in behind they tell their friends and the staring and pointing continues! I am getting used to smiling and saying, “Opo, dalawa baby!” (yes, two babies!)




The heat. Or perhaps I won’t ever get used to this. I so envy all you BCers who are starting to get fall weather! I long for a cool breeze. I have to say, though, Manila is not as hot as Davao (where we lived 3 years ago) so I am thankful for that. I try to go for walks with the boys around 8 or 9am but I’m a sweaty mess and we can’t even play at the park…. too hot! I haven’t once worn a hoodie or anything warm-ish. Cody was SO excited to find a jacket in his closet the other day but as soon as he got outside he couldn’t stand it. We’re getting used to playing outside after 4:30 when everyone else emerges from their air-conditioned homes…. but it gets dark at 6:30 so it’s a short window of fairly comfortable weather.

I’ve very quickly become used to not having a car, as everything I need is in walking distance (there’s a big mall just outside our apartment complex) and taxis are easy to come by. And to my surprise, I’m even used to travelling with no car seats! Climbing into a taxi and holding the boys used to freak me out a little, but I don’t even think about it anymore. Crazy, hey! Once we buy a car we’ll strap the boys in again, but that might not be for a while still. In the meantime, pray for our safety!! :)

If you are addressing someone older than you, it is never simply by his or her first name. When someone is even just a year older, you call them Ate (big sister) or Kuya (big brother) before their name and for someone your parents age its Tita or Tito... there's also Lolo and Lola for grandparents. It takes a bit to figure out what to call people (especially when I can't tell if they're my age or 10 years older!), and then also what Cody should call them. Cody has gotten really good at it though…. when he greets people at the mall with a friendly “Good morning, Kuya!” he melts Filipino hearts:)

Last Saturday we had someone clean our house. Now that is not a hard thing to get used to!! I feel pretty busy and am realizing I need a bit of help. I am watching the boys full time, doing 2 or 3 hours of language everyday (while they sleep), cooking, cleaning, getting groceries, hosting (a lot!), writing budgets, reporting expenses and trying to blog and keep in touch with friends/family at home. And next week we’re having at least 15 people over for dinner and training (with Jack and Irene Suderman!) three nights in a row- lots of cooking and baking to do! When the boys are finally in bed at night, it feels like my work is hardly just begun. Being busy is hard to get used to, but having someone clean for me once a week is certainly not!

Busy malls. It’s like December 23rd at Richmond Centre everyday, all day! At 10am, when the mall/grocery store opens (I really wish it opened earlier!) there is a long line up waiting to get in…. on a weekday! Here’s a picture of a weekend event at the mall and a taste of the craziness!


While we have learned so much about the Filipino culture in the last 3 months and also during our first stay here, getting used to a new culture takes a LONG time. Probably the most difficult thing is trying to understand the way people think and figuring out their worldview, beliefs and expectations. I am Canadian, so perhaps I won’t ever be fully used to the Filipino culture. But I enjoy the process and am excited for how it is shaping our family.

8 comments:

  1. ok. i can't believe that mall photo. are you sure you didn't photoshop a whack of people into that? unreal! i miss having someone clean my house too. i cleaned my bathroom yesterday for the first time in... well, nevermind... and remembered why i miss a cleaning lady. it is getting fall-ish here. we're still getting sunshine and we're still eating dinner out on our deck but the late evenings are getting downright cold and there's a distinct crispness to the air that i associate with autumn. my maple tree is starting to turn too.
    when i was in laos/cambodia, i marvelled at the MCC worker's two-year-old driving everywhere without a car seat. she was a pretty precocious child. knowing that they were heading home to the USA a few months after our trip there, i was thinking it would be a challenge to get here IN a car seat, considering that she'd never been in one before! i think your way is probably easier.
    i'll think of you today and pray for a cool breeze! have a good one.
    angelika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelika- thanks so much for your words and for your prayers. I definitely miss the cool crispness of fall... and the view of Baker on a cold clear day- there's nothing like it!
      So far when we have gone back to using a carseat Cody has been SO excited to get into it... I think anything familiar is exciting- just like finding a jacket:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your lives so openly Christina! We will think of you and pray for you often as you continue to adjust to life abroad :) The high is finally down to around mid 20's and Aaron just loves it! I understand how hot you get - unless you can be in the water - it's just a bit too hot!
    Getting three little girls out the door (by 8:15) in another week is going to be my big challenge! Kaeli starts kindergarten and Meredith will go to preschool three mornings a week. It will be different to have just Katrina at home!! Anyway, hope you have a cool day! Hugs to you all and lets Skype again soon :) <3 Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea!!! Thanks for the comment! I'll be thinking and praying for you and the fam as you transition into the school year. What a busy time it will be! I'm sure it will be nice to have quieter days just with the littlest one.
      Lots of love!!! And yes, let's Skype sometime.

      Delete
  3. Great to hear that you're back with a family! I hope you are having a wonderful and interesting time. It certainly sounds like it and the little ones look gorgeous!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria!! We're so thankful to be back here.... such a wonderful place. Hope you're well!

      Delete
  4. You do so well with your communication. Thanks for the great pictures and the newsy accounts of life in Manila. Of course every picture of your two cute kids gives your parents the urge to jump on the next plane to Manila and give them a squeeze. We now know just a little what your parents have had to face so often already... Josh has left us for a year, well almost a year, ten months. He's at Camp Squeah in their one year outdoor internship program. It's a gap year before he comes back to us and goes back to school. Anyway, as a family, we are also remembering you in our prayers. And the church prays for you too regularly. With love from the Kuepfers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! Wow, Josh is already graduated and on to new adventures. That's awesome! I'm sure you will miss him a lot. Sounds like he'll have a great experience, though. Thanks so much for the prayers- your family and the church. We are so thankful for the love and support.
      Blessings!

      Delete