Tuesday 12 November 2013

Now I know how my mom felt....

My mom was very hesitant to send us to a war zone when we worked in Mindanao. We served relief at Internally Displaced People camps just kilometres from the front lines in 2008 with Peacebuilders Community. We could see the bombs in the distance.

And now I'm sending three of our own to the aftermath of one of the worst storms to ever hit this world. To utter devastation. To chaos. I trust Reg, Fread and Taki will be safe as they serve the incredibly needy people there, as we were also in 2008.... but I feel nervous. Hesitant. These dear brothers and sister are part of my family.... Reg stays with us every weekend, Fread sleeps here during the weekdays, and Taki comes faithfully to Peace Church every week. I know they will come home tired, scarred and changed. I'll be here to listen and to feed them.

I'm sending my "children" to this most terrible catastrophe.... I know how you feel, Mom. But I know too, Mom, that despite your hesitancy, you knew that this was right. So do I.

Here they are about to head to the airport. Notice Makai's outfit- he was all ready for bed but was set on going with them and found his hat (everyone else was putting on hats!) and shoes. And of course, cried when they left.

Join us in praying for these three dear ones, the rest of the Peacebuilders Community team, and of course, for the thousands of people who are in desperate need of food and shelter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment