Wednesday 15 May 2013

thankful for a lovely birthday girl

Last night at our Peace Church gathering we had a little surprise birthday party for our well-loved sister, Ate Reg. We invited more of her friends to join us and I made a cake for her (well actually a trifle.... long story involving a cake breaking and an unreliable grocery store but the end result was delicious!). We had a great time celebrating this amazing young woman.... we all shared what we love about her and then she had a little (tear-filled) something to say too :) And then we read Matthew 14 together and learned about God's radical compassion from each other's insights and questions about the text. 

the whole gang! youth night :)

the photo collage Crizel, Cody and I made for Reg

This beautiful young woman has become a sister to me, to Darnell, and also to Cody and Makai. Before we left for the Philippines (almost a year ago now!), I often prayed that I would find a true friend in Manila, someone who really understood me, despite being from different cultures. I know many of you also prayed for this. Well that prayer was answered in this beautiful, determined, smart and compassionate woman.

Reg is part of our family. She usually stays on our couch 2 or 3 nights a week and is always welcome. Even when we feel like we need quiet family time, this lady is part of it. She adores our boys, babysits on weekends when we need a date, and stays up late with me chatting- sharing our struggles and our frustrations. She has gone on endless road-trips with us, introducing us to the IMC churches, translating, touring, hosting, and babysitting. Her wisdom and advice are indispensable to us. Because she grew up with American missionaries, worked at Peacebuilders Community in Davao (after we were there) and speaks impeccable English, we understand each other SO well. This alone, in a cross-cultural context, is a huge blessing! And its neat that we have such a three-way mentorship... learning from each other in so many ways. 

Reg has been and still is, exactly the friend that our entire family has needed. I couldn't be more thankful for her. We love you, Ate Reg, and are so incredibly blessed by your friendship. Happy Birthday, dear sister!





3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Reg! I was just commenting to Dan that when you mentioned her birthday during the MST meeting, I was sad that we hadn't sent a card to Reg. She feels like she is a part of our family, even though we haven't even met! Pass on a birthday greeting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are too sweet! I love that you feel like she's part of your family too:) I will pass on the greetings and make sure she reads this. Love ya!!!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!!! This is so sweet <3 Thanks, Christina, I am in tears while reading this. I am so much blessed the same way, getting to know you and spending time with your whole family. Thanks also for the surprise party last week!
    Thanks for the greeting, Dan and Amanda, I feel like I know you also, hearing from Darnell and Christina a lot about you! Hope we could meet!
    Reg

    ReplyDelete