Friday 12 April 2013

Thailand trip

Last week we attended the South East Asia Anabaptist Retreat. We had a wonderful time with a great group of people who have similar- yet so unique- stories as us and are serving in Asia in a variety of ways. We were blessed by this gathering of about 70 people on a beautiful beach south of Bangkok. 

Darnell and I were asked to lead one of the morning "input" sessions on the theme of our spirituality and what renews us. Darnell encouraged me to be the "speaker" and I'll post later about what I shared, but it had to do with the more unconventional spiritual disciplines and my freedom from guilt. It was actually super freeing for a lot of people and I was very encouraged that what I had to say was so appreciated.

The boys were well taken care of by some lovely girls who certainly had their hands full.... 3 childcare workers with seven kids two and under who all did a lot of crying, especially during drop-off. Our boys did really well, even with Makai in an awkward cast during a VERY hot week. I was really thankful for a bit of a break from watching the kids and the chance to have meaningful time with adults who are all serving God overseas. Here's a few pictures....

some of the kids.

our coordinator, Gordon, and fellow Mennonite Church Canada
workers, the Veiths.... a great time with these people!

the whole group!

We had one day before the retreat to hang out at a little resort on Makai's birthday- we had some great family time.

his gift- a tool set. it was a hit for both boys.

fast asleep at his birthday lunch.... while we enjoy a pool-side meal.

After the retreat we spent two days in Bangkok and I rang in my thirties Thai-style! We had a fun time as a family.



birthday buffet breakfast with chocolate lava cake for dessert!

our hotel room... Cody is having a nap on the floor, to the right.

Ikea shopping for my birthday... something I miss in Manila!

tuk tuk ride

birthday dinner... street food in Bangkok

2 comments:

  1. great photos, looks like you guys had fun in thailand! happy birthday to you and makai :)i am glad you got to go shopping at ikea..what a treat! i love that place. remember when we went there for breakfast? i can't rememeber the occasion, only that cody was just a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Renee! It was SUCH a treat to go to Ikea- definitely enjoyed it but wished I could buy more! I am SOOOO excited to have you guys here!

      Delete